Database analysts design, develop and administer data management solutions using database management software. Data administrators develop and implement data administration policy, standards and models. They are employed in information technology consulting firms and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors.
Database analysts perform some or all of the following duties:
- Collect and document user’s requirements
- Design and develop database architecture for information systems projects
- Design, construct, modify, integrate, implement and test data models and database management systems
- Conduct research and provide advice to other informatics professionals regarding the selection, application and implementation of database management tools
- Operate database management systems to analyze data and perform data mining analysis.
- May lead, co-ordinate or supervise other workers in this group.
Data administrators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Develop and implement data administration policy, standards and models
- Research and document data requirements, data collection and administration policy, data access rules and security
- Develop policies and procedures for network and/or internet database access and usage and for the backup and recovery of data
- Conduct research and provide advice to other information systems professionals regarding the collection, availability, security and suitability of data
- Write scripts related to stored procedures and triggers
- May lead and co-ordinate teams of data administrators in the development and implementation of data policies, standards and models.
Educational requirements: Post-secondary education (college diploma or university degree) in business, information technology or a combination thereof. Common program areas include computer science, information systems or computer engineering.
Experience: Minimum three-to-five years’ of related work experience, including industry-specific knowledge and experience. More experience required for senior roles (7-10 years).
Job requirements: Design, develop and implement data models for enterprise-level applications and systems. Ability to evaluate business requirements and translate them into specific data-related solutions. Exceptional analytical, conceptual and problem-solving skills. Monitor and review organizational activities to ensure important data needs are met. Experience in both database administration and business intelligence required. Knowledge of data integration and interoperability tools and business intelligence tools. Working knowledge of laws and policies government data privacy, security and risk mitigation. Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills required.
National average salary in this occupation is currently $68,700
Strong employment growth – combined with replacement demand due to skills mismatch, retirements, and other labour force exits – would result in strong demand for Data analytics / database architects/administrators in the next 5 years.