Technicians in this group provide first-line technical support to computer users experiencing difficulties with computer hardware and with computer applications and communications software. They are employed by computer hardware manufacturers and retailers, software developers, in call centres and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Technicians in this group are also employed by independent technical support companies or they may be self-employed.
- Communicate electronically and in person with computer users experiencing difficulties to determine and document problems experienced
- Consult user guides, technical manuals and other documents to research and implement solutions
- Emulate or reproduce technical problems encountered by users
- Provide advice and training to users in response to identified difficulties
- Provide business systems, network and Internet support to users in response to identified difficulties
- Collect, organize and maintain a problems and solutions log for use by other technical support analysts
- Participate in the redesign of applications and other software
- May supervise other technical support workers in this group.
Educational requirements: Post-secondary degree or diploma in computer science or related field. Professional designations are an asset.
Experience: Minimum of one-to-two years of experience for junior roles.
Job requirements: Strong technical knowledge and experience in relational database management systems (RDBMS), software development, protocols, frameworking and reporting, and IP telephony. Strong communication and interpersonal skills to maintain service-level agreement contracts with customers. Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills. Knowledge of both cloud-based and premise environments strongly preferred.
National average salary in this occupation is currently $58,500
Strong employment growth – combined with replacement demand due to skills mismatch, retirements, and other labour force exits – would result in strong demand for Technical support analysts in the next 5 years.