Computer network technicians establish, operate, maintain, and co-ordinate the use of local and wide area networks (LANs and WANs), mainframe networks, hardware, software and related computer equipment. They set up and maintain Internet and Intranet Web sites and Web-server hardware and software, and monitor and optimize network connectivity and performance. They are employed in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Supervisors of computer network technicians are included in this group.
- Maintain, troubleshoot and administer the use of local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), mainframe networks, computer workstations, connections to the Internet and peripheral equipment
- Evaluate and install computer hardware, networking software, operating system software and software applications
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to co-ordinate access and use of computer networks
- Provide problem-solving services to network users
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and upgrade Web-server hardware and software
- Implement network traffic and security monitoring software, and optimize server performance
- Perform routine network start up and close down and maintain control records
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations
- Conduct tests and perform security and quality controls
- Control and monitor e-mail use, Web navigation, and installed softwares
- Perform shell scripting or other basic scripting tasks
- May supervise other workers in this group.
Educational requirements: Post-secondary degree or diploma in computer science or related technical field. Industry certification (e.g. Microsoft, SAP) an asset.
Experience: Minimum of two-to-five years of related work experience. Minimum of five-to-seven years of experience required for senior/leadership roles.
Job requirements: Develop, configure, and manage organization’s web platform environment. Knowledge of and experience in all aspects of software development. Ability to integrate data from large enterprise systems such as SAP, Oracle, LIMS, etc. Solid understanding of SQL Server databases and experience with report development tools. In-depth knowledge of a variety of programming and scripting languages such as C#, Java, SQL, PHP, HTML, CSS. Strong communication and interpersonal skills to excel in a customer-focused environment. Knowledge of computer-based training applications an asset.
National average salary in this occupation is currently $66,500
Strong employment growth – combined with replacement demand due to skills mismatch, retirements, and other labour force exits – would result in strong demand for Web / network support technicians/administrators in the next 5 years.